Liberal Studies Department
- Liberal Studies Panel Chairperson
- 梁劍青老師 Mr Leung Kim Ching
- Liberal Studies Panel Members
- 麥梓偉老師 Mr Mak Tsz Wai
- 鄭安瑩老師 Ms Cheng On Ying
- 劉偉雄老師 Mr Lau Wai Hung
- 謝淑文老師 Ms Chieh Suk Man
- 劉欣宜老師 Ms Lau Yan Yi
- to consolidate students to construct knowledge in various learning areas and become independent learners;
- to help students attain excellent results and performances in DSE exam through the construction of solid knowledge foundation.
- to cultivate capabilities to achieve the goal of lifelong learning, including various generic skills such as critical thinking, creativity and communication skills;
- to apply the relevant generic skills in formative and summative assessments.
- to develop positive values and attitudes in life;
- to appreciate and respect diverse and conflicting views and perspectives.
Diversified assessment strategies
- Assessment for learning is one of the main focus points at our school. Assessment for learning can provide teachers opportunity to adjust teaching and learning strategies and enhance teaching effectiveness through the collection of students’ feedbacks. Liberal Studies emphasizes the mechanism of formative assessments to cultivate students serious learning attitudes such as the appreciation remarks and comments during the marking process.
- Assessment of learning, same as summative assessments, can judge students’ learning progress such as the tests upon the completion of modules and final examinations.
- Liberal Studies adopts diversified assessment strategies. For instance, the graphic organizers, posters/ advertisements design, comments on newspaper reports, the analysis on newspaper commentaries, reflections on stages in modules, inquiry questions and essays. Teachers should adjust the teaching methods to suit students’ learning needs to satisfy the principle of learning diversities.
- The application of self-generating questions in worksheets can extend students’ higher-order thinking skills. Students can arouse interests in relevant issues actively. Students generate questions to stimulate thinking power beyond receiving teachers’ questions passively.
- Self-generating questions heavily depends on the good guidance and instructions from teachers. This concept can be further promoted according to students’ levels such as generating questions in newspaper reports and presentations and clarifying questions during learning and interactions on different viewpoints at the student-teacher learning platform. The Self-generating questions with the application of web discussion forum can aggregate and demonstrate diverse perspectives from learners, which leads to the establishment of interactive learning community.
Liberal Studies Days has been launched since 2012. Its objective is to widen students’ horizons through various school activities in the forms of lectures, drams, exhibitions, video shows and game stalls. Apart from utilizing the resources at school. The community resources in the government departments and non-governmental organizations. The provision of suitable learning lifewide learning activities can also give students’ opportunity to gain unique learning experiences outside school premises.